I’ve made Bubble and Squeak patties once, but I’ve never had authentic ones made for me. So when I came up with this recipe I was unsure about calling them by that name. Still, they’re kinda like those things. They easy to make and one of my better recipes as of late so I had to share.
Bubble & Leek Patties
makes 20 patties
vegan, soy-free, nut-free, gluten-free
- 2 pounds gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt plus a pinch, divided
- 2 leeks (white and light green parts only), halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil, plus extra for brushing
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- Place potatoes and parsnip in a large pot with 1 tablespoon of salt and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer until soft. About 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, saute the leeks in the oil with a pinch of salt until they are soft and begin to brown. Let cool.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot. Let cool.
- Mash the potatoes until there are no large lumps. Add pepper to taste, garlic powder, coriander, and sauteed leek. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Using your hands, form small patties and place on parchment.
- Brush tops with a little oil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Carefully flip them over, brush tops with oil again, and bake for another 20 minutes. You could also pan fry them to desired crispness. I always recommend a cast iron skillet for that.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Note: The parsnip and use of gold potatoes should make this easy to mash and turn into patties without extra help from liquids. If you find your mixture to be too crumbly and dry try adding a tiny bit of vegetable broth at a time until they stay together.