First of all, happy Earth Day! We didn’t do anything special to celebrate today. We stayed home so I guess we helped by not adding another car to the road. I also read V is for Vegan to little tummy for her bedtime story tonight. I thought that was a good Earth Day book for her and she enjoys it. Did anyone do anything fun for Earth Day?
Secondly, we have a date for little tummy’s surgery. It’s happening May 11th, bright and early in the morning. I just realized yesterday that is the day after Mother’s Day. I’m going to be a puddle of worry on that day. I hardly slept last night thinking about the horrible things that could go wrong during her surgery, which is why I’m making this a short post. I’m tired!
If you follow me on Instagram you should know what we had for lunch today. If not, I’ll tell you! I threw together a guacamole and made quesadillas with it. They were wonderful, papa tummy really loved it, even little tummy was chowing down, and it was super simple. With all that I thought maybe I should just post this recipe tonight. So here it is!
Guacadilla with Grilled Corn Guacamole
vegan, soy-free, nut-free, gluten-free option*, oil-free
makes about 10
- 1 ear of fresh corn
- 4 avocados
- juice from 1 lemon
- half red onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- handful of grape tomatoes, diced small
- 1 cup of beans, black or pinto
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pinch of cayenne or crushed red pepper (optional)
- 10 8-inch flour tortillas, (*use gluten-free)
- Preheat a grill plate over medium heat. Peel the outer leaves off the corn, leaving one layer on.
- Place corn on grill and cook until evenly charred on each side.
- While corn is grilling, prepare guacamole by smashing the avocado in a medium bowl and stirring in remaining ingredients, except tortillas.
- Once corn is done, remove remaining leaves and cut off kernels. Stir into guacamole.
- Spread a layer of guacamole onto half of a tortilla and fold the other half over. Place on grill plate and cook until grill marks appear and tortilla is crispy, then flip over and cook until other side is done.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings; such as: salsa and plain yogurt.
- Refrigerate any unused guacamole in an airtight container for no more than a few days.