I wanted to post this yesterday. Unfortunately, we had to take little tummy into the ER last night which took up quite a bit of time and energy. I was not willing to stay up late typing away after all that. There were too many signs going on to ignore so I made the call that we needed to get her checked out for another UTI. I was not going to wait for it to get as bad as the first one if that was the case. We made the right choice because it turned out to be what I suspected. Now, we wait to hear from her urologist about what the next course of action is. The fact that this UTI occurred while she’s been on an antibiotic since the last one to prevent another one from happening is not a good thing. Worst-case scenario is surgery. Best-case scenario is the doc decides to up her antibiotic dosage. Obviously, I would prefer the latter.
Anyway, that’s my latest drama. Shall we talk about food now? Yeah, that’s what I thought.
Hopefully, you read my last post and understand that I declared April to be Fiesta Month and that I will be posting some of my Mexican recipes all month. I am saving the best one for last so don’t forget to check back! Tonight is all about tacos… or burritos… or really anything you desire to use this filling for.
This is not your typical taco filling. I wouldn’t even call this Tex-Mex, but you can’t have Fiesta without some kind of taco, right?! This was pretty much an experiment to get little tummy to eat some Mexican food. See, she doesn’t like beans and she seems to hate anything with a smoky flavor and everything that contains typical Mexican seasoning.
One thing she does love is oatmeal. I thought maybe that was just because it was a breakfast food. She will devour anything we give her for breakfast. One day I made her oatmeal for lunch due to no other option and she had two bowls of it! Ah ha, the kid loves oatmeal no matter what time of day! So I got it in my head to try to make a savory “taco” oatmeal to see if she would eat it. Sadly, no. The experiment failed. I’ll have to try some other trick on her.
However, what came of it was a great success to the parents! Papa tummy loves this filling. He’s already asked for it again and it hasn’t been that long since I first made it. So if you’re up for trying something a little different I hope this will excite your taste buds.
Quinoa Oat Taco Filling
vegan, soy-free, nut-free, gluten-free option*, oil-free option**
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (**use water or broth)
- small onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cups rolled oats (*use gluten-free)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed (I used a blend of quinoa, amaranth, and millet I get from Costco)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch chipotle powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1.5 cups black beans OR 1 15 oz. can, drained and rinsed
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, EXCEPT cilantro and beans, and stir until well mixed.
- Bring to a boil , reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until quinoa is done.
- Remove bay leaf and discard. Stir in the cilantro and beans, heat through. It will thicken as it stands.
- Serve immediately in tacos, burritos, or eat out of a bowl like a savory oatmeal. Use desired toppings and enjoy!