It’s warming up over here. I had the windows open for almost two days earlier this week. It felt great and it was nice to air out the musty winter smell.
Warmer weather never stops me from having a nice hot soup. We just had a creamy tomato soup for lunch and dinner today! Fun fact: little tummy hates soup! She won’t touch it unless I puree it to a smooth texture and put it in a special glass for her to drink out of. Kids are weird! Whatdya gonna do? At least she will eat it (or drink it) in some form.
Anyway, I had soup on the brain while I was looking through my stack of recipes to post so I decided to post one of my older ones. This recipe may be around a year old even. It’s a really simple Asian soup that I think you will love. After everything is prepped this takes less than 30 minutes to cook.
Note: It calls for 1 pound of mushrooms. You could use any mushrooms you like, really. I used good ol’ creminis, but portobellos, white, shiitake, or even a mixture would be nice.
Chunky Hot & Sour Mushroom Soup with Red Lentils
vegan, soy-free, nut-free, gluten-free, oil-free option*
- 1 tablespoon oil (*use water or broth)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 pound mushrooms (see note above)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry red lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons chickpea miso
- Heat oil in a large soup pot on medium and saute onion and carrots for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add mushrooms and garlic and saute for another 3 minutes or until mushrooms have released their water.
- Stir in broth, lentils, coconut aminos, sriracha, vinegar, and ginger. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until lentils are cooked.
- Ladle about 1 cup of broth into a small bowl and dissolve chickpea miso into the broth. Pour the broth back into the pot, stir, and simmer for a few minutes longer. Do not bring to a boil. Remove from heat and serve. Enjoy!