Happy Friday, everyone! As I mentioned, this will be my last post for a while so that I can focus and put my energy towards writing my book. I didn’t want to leave you hanging without a yummy recipe. I hope this will hold you over until the next one.
I made this dish a few weeks ago. I had picked up some beautiful heirloom tomatoes at the store without having a purpose for them. They were on sale and I didn’t want to pass it up! I knew I could think of something to do with them. There they sat all week, starting to wrinkle. I had some leftover squash and zucchini from a previous meal and thought they would pair well. I decided to toss a bunch of things together and season it up, throw on some bread crumbs for a little crunch and use the new brand of mozzarella shreds I had yet to open.
This was one of those times I didn’t bother to measure anything. I let my instincts tell me when there was enough oregano. If this gives you anxiety, I do apologize. For those of you that need an amount, let’s say I used about 1 and a half to 2 tablespoons worth of seasoning and maybe another tablespoon for the bread crumb mix.
A note about the Follow Your Heart mozzarella shreds I used: I know there are a lot of people who can’t stand Daiya. I think if you are one of those people you should give this brand a shot. I think I may like Follow Your Heart more than Daiya. It still melts, but it doesn’t stick to your teeth like Daiya does and I think the taste is a lot closer to the dairy version. If you are really against nondairy cheese then you can just leave it out. Simple as that.
I absolutely loved this dish! Every bite was creamy and flavorful with a tiny bit of crunchiness. I couldn’t wait to have seconds. Instead of serving over rice you could try mixing it up with pasta.
With that said, I hope you all have a wonderful September and a fabulous October. I plan on returning before Thanksgiving. Not sure what I want to make this year so I’ll need some inspiration from all you lovelies. Until then, keep creating and devouring deliciously healthy meals. You can stop by my Facebook and Instagram accounts to see what I’m up to if you want. I’m on there almost every day. Bye for now!
Cheezy Italian Bake with Heirloom Tomatoes and Squash over Rice
vegan, soy-free, nut-free, gluten-free option*
makes 6 servings
- olive oil
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 medium zucchini and/or yellow squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 large onion, large dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- cayenne (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 package mozzarella shreds (I used Follow Your Heart brand, read above)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (*use gluten-free)
- 6 servings cooked brown rice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and oil a 9 by 13 glass baking dish.
- In the baking dish combine the tomatoes, squash, onion, and garlic with the seasoning and half the package of mozzarella.
- In a small bowl mix the bread crumbs with a little more seasoning. Evenly spread bread crumb mix on top of tomato mix. Then, drizzle a little more oil over the bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until bread crumbs are a nice toasty brown.
- Switch oven to broil and evenly sprinkle the remaining mozzarella shreds on top of the toasty bread crumbs. Broil for 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and brown.
- Serve over rice. Enjoy!