Now that I have calmed down and got that last post out of my system I can proceed with my original post for today.
I first made this pasta salad for a spontaneous picnic papa tummy, little tummy, and I had on Memorial Day. We wanted to go to the park, but it was already lunch time so I quickly threw together a pasta salad with the random stuff we had in the fridge. It was such a hit I had to make it again. The second time around I added a thing or two. You can play with it and add whatever veggies you have on hand. You don’t even need to steam the veggies if you don’t want to. The only reason I did was because of papa tummy’s allergy to raw veggies. This recipe is hard to mess up. All you really need is the pasta and the mayo for the dressing base. You could really use whatever add-ins and flavor it how you want. Have fun with it and make it yours!
I like to call it a pasta salad for every occasion, but why not give it a try for the 4th of July? Take it to that potluck you were invited to. It goes great with BBQ and watermelon! If someone doesn’t like it they can answer to me.
Veggie Pasta Salad
vegan, soy-free, nut-free, gluten-free option*
serves 6 to 8 as a side
- 1 pound pasta (*use gluten-free)
- about 25 baby carrots, diced
- 4 cups bite-sized broccoli florets
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 6 artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
- 4 pepperoncini peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup soy-free vegan mayo (I used Just Mayo)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- Cook the pasta al dente according to the package directions. Making sure to drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside and let cool completely.
- Steam the diced carrots and broccoli florets for 10 to 15 minutes. They should still have a slight crunch to them and not mushy. Set them aside and let cool.
- Add the steamed veggies, bell pepper, artichoke hearts, pepperoncini peppers, and green onions to a large bowl and toss with the pasta.
- In a small bowl mix the mayo with the seasoning to make the dressing.
- Add the dressing to the large bowl and gently toss until all the pasta and veggies are coated.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!