I was planning to make these biscuits to go with a creamy potato soup one night for dinner. I didn’t get around to it because Twila had other plans for me that night of the fussy sort. The next morning she slept in so I took advantage of it and decided to make them for breakfast. All I did was top them with some cherry preserves. These would be really great as biscuits and gravy for a nice southern-style breakfast. They were tasty enough I wanted to eat all of them but I know my husband would have been very sad if he didn’t get any therefore I practiced some self-control. I also wanted to leave some so I could have with the leftover soup in which they were intended to accompany. That is why I decided to call these Anytime Chickpea Biscuits since they were good all day long. I believe they would even be great to use for strawberry shortcake.
No matter what you use these for you should know they are high in protein, fiber, and iron due to the garbanzo bean flour used. It definitely gives these biscuits a unique taste. I used Bob’s Red Mill brand, click here to read the nutrition label from the package.
Makes 14- 3″ round biscuits
- 2 cups garbanzo bean flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting
- Combine the first four ingredients. Then add milk, stirring until all is mixed.
- Add wheat flour 1/3 cup at a time. I found it easier to mix with my hands for the last 1/3 cup.
- Place dough on floured surface. Evenly roll out to a 1/4 inch thickness. Take one side and fold over to meet the other side.
- Repeat last step.
- Repeat one more time but this time roll it out to 1/2 inch thickness. Take a biscuit cutter or whatever you have to cut out the biscuits. I used a glass and it worked just fine.
- Press scraps back together and roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Repeat this until you have used up the dough. I formed the last biscuit with my hands.
- Place biscuits an inch or so apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.