This is a dinner that I made last week. Unfortunately after the news I got yesterday I won’t be able to make this delicious dish for a while. I found out that my soy consumption could possibly be causing problems for Twila. In order to find out if it is the cause I have to be soy free for at least a week. If it turns out to be the culprit who knows how long I will have to swear off all soy products. I know it won’t be easy but it’s possible. Soy is in everything! It seems where there is no milk there is soy so I have to go back to scrutinizing ingredient lists while shopping.
Things you have to do for your children. At least we caught it early before the symptoms got out of hand. The doctor did say she should grow out of it. I hope she does. I would hate to have to give up soy permanently because she has an allergy. Allergies are a new thing for me. I’ve never been allergic to anything so I never have to think about it. However my husband does have allergies and I’m fairly certain Twila will have some form of allergy. She’ll be right on trend since everyone these days is allergic to something.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups orzo
- 8 ounces tempeh
- Balsamic marinade (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 small to medium zucchini, peeled and diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (1 teaspoon if using dried)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Steam tempeh for about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- While tempeh is steaming whisk all ingredients of marinade together.
- Put tempeh is a quart-sized Ziploc bag. Crumble tempeh by squeezing outside of bag. Pour marinade inside bad. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Prepare orzo according to package directions.
- While orzo is cooking heat oil in a large skillet. Saute onion for about 5 minutes. Add eggplant and zucchini, cook for another 10 minutes or until veggies are soft.
- Add tempeh with all of marinade, stir to combine. Cook until heated through.
- Stir in cooked orzo and serve.