I’m a planner and an organizer. I usually make our weekly menu every Sunday before going to the store. This method makes shopping so much quicker and easier. It also helps if you are on a budget so you can stick to what you need instead of throwing some extras into the basket that get you in trouble at check out. Making a menu consists of looking through my many cookbooks and choosing what looks good compared to what is on sale. Even though doing this is effective it also prevents me from coming up with my own recipes to share on here. Well, this past Sunday I didn’t get an opportunity to make my weekly menu so I went to the store with no idea what to make for this week. It was a little overwhelming and it took a lot longer than usual to get through the aisles. Once I calmed down I was able to come up with a few meals that I will be posting. This polenta recipe is the first. We usually make our own polenta but getting the pre-made log allows for different preparation. The idea for this recipe came from a random thought about pepper encrusted steak and everything else followed.
Makes 4 servings
- 18 ounce package of pre-made polenta, cut into 1/2″ thick rounds, about 12 slices (I used the basil garlic flavor)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb mix
- 1/2 tablespoon coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1 bunch Kale, removed from stem and torn into bits
- 4 ounces sliced baby Portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare baking sheet with foil and arrange polenta rounds onto foil.
- Place oil in a small bowl. Mix the garlic, herbs, and pepper in a separate small bowl.
- Brush oil on polenta. Using your fingers sprinkle pepper mix onto polenta and gently press making sure it sticks.
- Turn rounds over and repeat previous step.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Pour remaining oil in a skillet and heat over medium.
- Add onion slices and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add mushroom, kale, salt, and pepper. Saute until kale is wilted, about another 5 minutes.
- In a bowl whisk together BBQ, Worcestershire, and soy sauces.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add sauce mix. Cook until heated through.
- Serve alongside polenta and enjoy!