A hot and hearty breakfast is my thing. I am not the type of person to live off cereal and be satisfied with just that. Before I became vegan I was all about having eggs and sausage or bacon every morning. Since the transition, breakfast has been a struggle for me. I love making pancakes, waffles, and tofu scramble when I have the time but it’s not something I can do every morning so it gets a bit frustrating having to settle for a less desirable meal to start my day. Fortunately I do have that time on Sundays which is why I decided to make my first ever tempeh scramble this morning. Again, this recipe consists of whatever we had on hand. All ingredients are optional and I encourage you to substitute whatever you would like and experiment on your own. Have some fun in that kitchen of yours!
Veggie Tempeh Scramble
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into thin rounds
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 8 oz. package of tempeh, crumbled
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- 2 tsp turmeric
- salt and pepper, to taste
- half of a 7 oz. jar of roasted red peppers, drained on paper towel and diced
- two handfuls of baby spinach
- half a package of pepperjack style shredded daiya cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, jalapeno and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add crumbled tempeh and cook for 3 minutes.
- Mix in spices and cook for an additional minute or two. Reduce heat to medium low. Add water as needed if it begins to dry out or stick.
- Add roasted red pepper and spinach. Cook until spinach begins to wilt, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in cheese and stir until it has melted.
- Remove from heat and serve.
This would probably serve 4 people but since my husband and I are pigs it only served two along with some toast and jam. The only thing missing was some fresh fruit. I was a little disappointed with that jalapeno though. It didn’t bring the heat like I expected it to so I felt the flavor was lacking. Other than that I think it turned out well. I hope you enjoy it too. Don’t forget to make it your own.